Matt's Hats was founded to support the goals listed above, and to also further the kingdom of God . We hold fast to the scripture, Joshua 1:9 "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." This verse is a beacon of light in the lives of childhood cancer patients. We are dedicated to showing everyone the possibility of taking a tragedy and turning it into an opportunity. As a corporation, we hope to be successful by worldly standards, but more importantly we hope to show the love of Christ through something as simple as a hat.
When Matt Williams was 9 years old, he was diagnosed with a stage-three ependymoma brain tumor. At St. Louis Children’s Hospital he had an 8 hour surgery to completely remove the tumor. He had to return to St. Louis for three months to undergo radiation therapy. He began collecting hats to hide his baldness. He collected over 300 hats through friends and family. Today, he is cancer free and reaching out to other childhood cancer patients. Matt’s Hats has grown to an official Not-for-profit corporation. We hope to continue growing and reach out to more and more kids every year.
1) One in every 330 Americans develops cancer before the age of twenty.
2) 46 children and adolescents are diagnosed with cancer every school day in the United States.
3) Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children under the age of 15 in the United States.
4) More children are diagnosed with cancer every year than adults died in 9/11
5) All 12 major pediatric cancer groups combined receive less than 3% of the National Cancer Institutes budget.